Kaeng Kiew Wan with Goong


My Rating: *****
Components: Thai Green Curry with Tiger Prawns, thai fragrant white rice.
Location: Notting Hill, London. 

First of all, I don't know why my pictures have lost a little shine ever since my last post, might be the file type or something like that. 
Anyway, this post is not JUST about the dish itself. Green curry...such a typical Thai dish found in any Thai restaurant, yet this one will always be the most memorable one. 

As my friend and I were walking along the cute streets of Notting Hill after visiting the Museum of Advertising, Packaging and Labels, we started to get slightly hungry..yet all there was in this street was a pub. As we walked on the opposite side of the pub, however, a sign caught my eyes: "Thai Restaurant". To our surprise, the sign was located right above the Pub's main entrance. What a weird looking Thai restaurant...it didn't look Asian at all. 

Well, we went in to check and yes, it was a pub indeed and yes it was a Thai restaurant. The Thai bar tender greeted us with her English yet Asian accent and we chose to sit on one of the high tables next to the window. I was a craving a spicy rice dish, hence my choice of Green Curry. 

It was just such a contrast of settings, yet it created a interesting and new feeling. Surrounded by dark wooden chairs and dark brown leather, a full bar with dangling wine and beer bottles and certainly a more typical "pubish" decorations...my friend and I were sitting there eating: Thai food.

And oh what a Thai food it was. The Green curry was creamier than any other curries I had before...the consistency just made it so much better to eat it with the Thai rice..they kind of stick together in this sticky little mess and when you put one spoon full into your mouth, a blast of coconut milk, peppers and basil erupts simultaneously with a tinge of spice. It is important to eat the curry while hot, I feel like if it gets cold, it loses its special fire burn...something I really appreciate in food even though it makes me tear up and use up tons of paper napkins to blow my nose. 

So there I sat..mesmerized at this awesome Thai curry in a Pub, starring out the window looking at the little streets of Notting Hill - a little funny experience I decided to share. 

Comments

  1. Nossa, não entendi nada do nome, mas parece ser uma delícia!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to picture this place. Seems reallyyy interesting and I'm craving Thai curry now :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oi Julie!

    Legal o seu blog!
    Veja o meu também: www.novidades-amy.blogspot.com

    Abraços
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts